There are hundreds of sure fire ways to ruin your business, but there are a few things that the typical well meaning but ignorant small business owner unknowingly commit. In offices with a few employees, often times owners and employees alike start creating a family atmosphere, which is great but can also be a double edged sword because well, as we all know, families are normally dysfunctional.
Listed below are 11 great ways to wreck your business!
1. Hire a consultant that knows nothing about your business and turn the reigns over.
2. Hire employees that are okay with lying and cheating.
3. Take lots of vacations and post pictures on Facebook of your amazing adventures for your employees to see.
4. Act like you know it all and be unapproachable.. usually reminding them at least once a day how great you are helps too.
5. Publicly criticize or put your employees down (always a crowd favorite).
6. Delegate everything to the point you have no real function in your own company.
7. Talk crap about ex employees that current employees actually liked.
8. Hire people that don’t fit in with the people you have and then keep them just long enough to ruin your company chemistry.
9. Keep your office door closed all day while at work so people know you are more important than they are.
10. Share every confidential and proprietary information with your employees and don’t be a paranoid fool.
11. Never, under any circumstances, listen to the advice of the people that love you (especially not your wife/husband)
At the end of the day, your business is your livelihood. You are the owner, the CEO, the HR department, and PR Department. Govern yourself accordingly.
By: Todd Marinshaw. Todd owns and operates a sportswear business based in Orlando, FL and recently founded iPrevail, a non profit organization focused on relief and rehabilitation for victims of disasters such as Typhoon Haiyan